Makes 6 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
1/4 kilo pork belly
1/4 kilo pork spare ribs
2 pieces red onions, quartered
3 pieces garlic cloves, smashed
3 pieces tomatoes, quartered
1 tablespoon peppercorn
8 1/2 cups water, divided
2 cups fresh sampaloc
2 pieces ube
2 1/2 tablespoons patis
1/2 cup radish, sliced
1/2 cup sitaw, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup okra, sliced
1/2 cup eggplant, sliced
1 1/2 pieces siling pang singang
1/2 bunch kangkong
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, place pork, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and 4 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender, adding more water if needed.
2. In a pot over medium heat, boil sampaloc in 2 cups water until soft and mash them in the liquid into a pulp. Strain and extract as much juice and pulp from the sampaloc as possible. Set aside.
3. Boil 1 piece of the ube until softened in 2 cups water and mash into the water. Set aside. Cut the remaining ube into cubes.
4. Once pork is tender, add mashed ube, patis, and the remaining ube then allow to simmer until ube is soft.
5. Add the sampaloc juice and stir. Add siling pang sigang, radish, beans, okra, and eggplant. Cover and bring to a boil. Add kangkong and cover for a few minutes then remove from heat.