Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
2 cups cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
7 eggs, separated
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup ube halaya
1 teaspoon violet food color
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
10 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk (300 ml)
1 cup fresh milk
12.5 grams clear gelatin (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
Store bought marshmallow or buttercream frosting
Toasted desiccated coconut
1. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Place the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Mix and sift into a separate container.
3. Gently mix in 7 egg yolks, oil, evaporated milk, ube halaya, and violet food cool. Mix just until ingredients are incorporated to avoid activating the flour’s gluten.
4. In another bowl, beat the 7 egg whites with the cream of tartar with an electric mixer. Start slow until frothy, then increase the speed to the highest setting until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold in the beaten egg whites into the ube batter in increments. Fold just until incorporated and take care not to over mix to not deflate the foam.
6. Grease and line a deep 8-inch cake pan. Pour the batter into the cake pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the a toothpick pricked on the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let it cool after baking and transfer on a lined lazy susan or plate.
1. Mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, fresh milk, and clear gelatine (optional) on a bowl.
2. On an 8-inch round metal cake pan or lañera over medium low heat, heat the sugar and swirl the pan around until the sugar dissolves into a light brown caramel.
3. Pour the leche flan batter into the cake pan and cover with foil. Heat water in a double boiler over medium heat. Place the cake pan on the top tier and steam for about 20 minutes or until the leche flan is set. Let it cool.
4. Oil a plate and transfer the leche flan on the plate.
1. Slice the cake on the middle with a bread knife. Set the top aside. Slide in the layer of leche flan onto the cut part of the bottom cake. Place back the top cake over the leche flan. Trim any excess.
2. Using a spatula, spoon the frosting onto the middle of the cake. Spread and work on the sides until the cake is covered.
3. Sprinkle with toasted desiccated coconut and serve!
Leave a Reply