Makes 5-6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 cup ube halaya or jam, divided
¾ cup water
1 cup glutinous rice flour
Oil, for deep frying
1 cup coconut cream
¾ cup brown sugar
1. In a bowl, mix together 1 cup ube halaya and water until well combined into a smooth consistency.
2. Mix in rice flour until a dough forms.
3. Scoop a tablespoon of dough, then roll, flatten, and fill with a teaspoon of the remaining ube halaya/jam. Form into equally-sized balls. Poke holes through each ball to prevent cariocas from exploding in oil.
4. In a deep frying pan over medium-low heat, fry the carioca until golden and crispy for about 5 minutes. Drain excess oil and set aside.
1. In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk and brown sugar, and heat until thickened.
2. Drizzle syrup over carioca and enjoy!