Makes 6 muffins
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
10 pieces eggs, cold and divided
1 ½ cup tocino
¼ cup tocino oil from tocino
3 cups pancake mix (3 packs)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 ¼ cups milk
2 tablespoons salt
⅛ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven at 190 degrees C.
- Soft boil 6 eggs by boiling an inch of water and adding the eggs. Cover and cook for 4 and 1/2 minutes. Shock eggs in cold water and place in freezer for 30 minutes max.
- In a nonstick medium pan, fry tocino until crisp. Set aside the tocino oil for the muffin batter. Transfer to a chopping board and cut into bits. Set aside.
- Mix together pancake mix, cornmeal, 4 eggs, milk, salt, maple syrup, tocino oil (just add extra cooking oil if needed). Fold in tocino bits.
- Remove the eggs from the freezer and peel.
- Grease a muffin pan and fill each with the batter just until 1/4 full. Add one peeled egg in each muffin slot. Spoon over and around more batter to cover the egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190 degrees C. Serve hot!