Makes 6 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
5 pieces kamote, large, peeled
Oil, for frying
½ tablespoon sesame oil
½ tablespoon olive oil
2 pieces garlic clove, smashed skin on
2 pieces ginger, sliced, and smashed
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup mirin
1/8 cup brandy
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup corn syrup
1. Slice kamote pieces into wedges and soak in cold water.
2. Fry kamote pieces in oil over medium heat for a few minutes, remove from oil.
3. Double-fry the kamote pieces over high heat until golden and crispy.
4. In a pan, quickly saute garlic and ginger in sesame oil and olive oil until fragrant.
5. Add soy sauce, mirin, and brandy. Cook until alcohol is cooked off and mixture is reduced by half.
6. In a separate, large non stick pan, place sugar, teriyaki mixture, and corn syrup and cook until a well combined liquid, reduced to syrupy consistency and caramelized.
7. Toss kamote pieces and mix, pulling to create sugar strings.
Liked this boozy twist to fried and candied sweet potato? Also check out our list of kamote recipes!