Makes 20 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons dried bonito flakes
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup mirin
¼ cup white radish, peeled & grated
1 tablespoon Ginger, peeled & grated
Stuffed Squash Flowers:
2 squares kesong puti, chopped
2 squares soft tofu, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons spring onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 /4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
16-20 pieces squash blossoms
2 pieces whole eggs, beaten lightly
1/3 cup all purpose flour (or more)
1 /3 cup breadcrumbs (or more)
Cooking oil for frying
- Make tempura sauce: Bring water to a boil. Stir in bonito flakes and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer and into a bowl, and then return to saucepan.
- Once boiling, add soy sauce, mirin, radish, and ginger. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before serving
- Combine kesong puti, tofu, garlic, spring onions, salt and pepper.
- Open up squash flower petals and pipe mixture into each flower. Set aside.
- Dip each stuffed flower in eggs > flour > eggs > breadcrumbs
- Heat oil and deep fry each flower until golden brown.
- Serve hot with tempura sauce.
Leave a Reply