Home » Stuffed Habanero Peppers With Mechado Sauce
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6-8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
¼ kilo ground beef
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon calamansi juice
½ tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons oil
⅓ cup red onions, minced
¼ cup garlic, minced
⅛ cup tomatoes, de-seeded and minced
⅛ cup potatoes, minced
⅛ cup carrots, minced
⅛ cup bell peppers, minced
⅛ cup peas, boiled and mashed
⅓ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon bay leaf powder
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
12-15 babanero peppers
3/4 cup cheese, cubed
1 cup flour
½ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1½ cup water
¾ cup breadcrumbs
Cooking oil for deep frying
1. In a small bowl, combine ground beef, soy sauce, calamansi juice, and ground black pepper and mix until well combined. Set aside.
2. In a pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic and onions in oil until translucent and fragrant. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and mashed peas and saute for a few more minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes until the tomato paste gets dark and slightly toasted. Remove from pan, set aside and cool.
3. Combine the sautéed vegetables to the pork, add the ground bay leaf and stir until well combined. Set aside.
1. In the same pan, prepare the sauce by deglazing with beef broth and adding tomato sauce, fish sauce, and ground black pepper. Cook and stir until well combined.
1. Slice a small incision into habanero peppers and carefully fill halfway with meat mixture, place a cube of cheese in the middle and fill with more meat mixture.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, garlic powder and water, mixing well into a smooth batter.
3. Dip the habaneros into the batter and roll in breadcrumbs to fully coat.
4. Deep fry breaded habaneros until golden and crisp.
5. Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy your spicy treat!