Home » SPAM® Cheesy Torta Musubi
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoons butter, salted
1 tablespoon oil
1 can SPAM® Classic, cut into 8 slices
Soy sauce, for brushing
6 pieces eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup milk
¼ cup carrots, minced
¼ cup red onions, minced
½ cup spring onions, finely chopped
8 pieces cheddar cheese slice
8 pieces mozzarella cheese slices
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups sushi rice, cooked
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons garlic, minced and toasted
4 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
4 pieces nori sheets, cut in half
1. In a pan (square/rectangle tamagoyaki pan, if available), melt butter and oil over medium heat. Add SPAM® Classic slices for a few minutes on each side, brushing with a light layer of soy sauce until crisp brown crust forms. Remove from pan and drain excess oil.
2. In the same pan over medium-low heat, pour over a thin layer of the egg mixture and allow to cook. Once dry, place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese at the lower half of the egg and place two cooked SPAM® Classic slices on top and another layer of mozzarella and cheddar slice. Roll egg upwards over itself to make a roll. Remove from heat and slice in half. Repeat until all SPAM® Classic is used.
3. In a small pot over medium heat, whisk together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Drizzle sushi vinegar over warm rice and carefully mix and fold through until cooled. Mix in toasted garlic.
5. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk and season with salt. Whisk vigorously until well combined and smooth. Strain mixture into another bowl for a smoother texture.
6. Mix in carrots, red onions, and spring onions until well combined and everything is evenly distributed. Season with ground black pepper.
7. Shape cooked sushi rice into the can of SPAM® Classic with 1-inch thickness and top with the SPAM® cheesy torta. Place on top of the halved nori sheet.
8. Wrap halved nori around each. Moisten on end slightly to fasten together. Repeat to make 8.