Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
8 tablespoons white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 tablespoons milk, plus more as needed
1 whole white onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup parsley leaves, minced
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons pepper
6 tablespoons bacon, minced
6 pieces egg yolks
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 kilo ground beef
1/2 kilo ground pork
4 tablespoons cooking oil
1 piece red onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 kilo Hunt’s Tomato Basil & Cheese Spaghetti Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons basil, chopped
6 pieces egg whites
1 pack spaghetti noodles (400g)
1 cup mozzarella cheese + more for topping
2 tablespoons basil, chopped (for topping)
- Combine bread cubes and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes to soften bread, and then mash with a fork. Mix in the onion, garlic, parmesan cheese, parsley leaves, salt, pepper, bacon, egg yolks, dried basil. Add the ground beef and pork and mix well.
- Form into meatballs and arrange on a large plate.
- Heat up oil over medium heat and pan-fry meatballs until browned on most sides. Set aside.
- Heat pan and saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add Hunt’s Tomato Basil & Cheese Spaghetti Sauce. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer until slightly thickened. Mix in basil. Set aside half of this sauce for the spaghetti nests.
- Add meatballs to the remaining sauce in the pan. Simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes, while spooning sauce over the meatballs. Remove dipped meatballs from the sauce. Set aside half of this sauce for the spaghetti nests.
- Whisk egg whites and remaining sauce in a mixing bowl. To this, add the cooked spaghetti. Mix well.
- Divide evenly among 12 greased/non-stick muffin cups, pressing noodles in the sides to form nests. Bake for 12 minutes at 200 degrees C.
- Put one meatball in each nest. Top with more sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 3-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Serve with extra sauce and fresh basil on top.