Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
8 cups water
1 1/2 kilo beef shanks
1 red onion, quartered
1 carrot, cut into three pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon Peppercorns
1 whole garlic bulb, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
oil for frying
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 can sliced mushrooms
1/2 tablespoon flour
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Knorr liquid seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste
Parsley for garnish
Garlic chips for garnish
- In a pressure-cooker, combine water, beef shanks, onion, carrot, celery stalks, peppercorns, garlic and salt. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer beef shanks to a strainer. Strain stock and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Heat butter and oil on a medium saucepan. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour and whisk well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in beef stock and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and liquid seasoning. Season to taste. Mix well and let sauce thicken. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, pan-fry shanks until lightly browned on the surface, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat sizzling plate until smoking and turn off the heat. Immediately add beef and pour in mushroom sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and garlic chips.