PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 servings
Preparation & cooking time: 2 hours
½ kilo pork ribs/ pork neck bone-in
1/2 kilo pork shoulder cut into big cubes
2 pieces red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
2 pieces tomatoes, cut into quarters
10 – 12 pieces katmon fruit, peeled and cut into quarters
3 pieces siling haba
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 piece large egg plant, cut diagonally
1 piece radish, peeled and cut diagonally
2 pieces gabi, peeled and cut in half
2 pieces sigarilyas, cut diagonally
1 bundle kangkong leaves, leaves separated from stems and stems cut
1. Fill stock pot with water, add pork cuts in and let water boil over medium heat until you see impurities appear on top. Drain meat and wash throwing away water. Set aside meat for cooking.
2. Clean stock pot and place again on medium heat and pour about 1 to 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot add red onions, tomatoes and katmon fruits and saute until tender.
3. Add in pork and pour water as needed for the soup.
4. Let simmer for about 1 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add gabi and let simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes or until gabi is tender. Season with fish sauce and pepper.
5. Add radish and boil for 1 minute before adding the sigarilyas, egg plant and kangkong leaves. Let simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes to cook vegetables before turning off the heat.
Liked this creative, local twist to a sour-tastic Pinoy soup dish? Also try your hands on another Katmon recipe, Katmon Jam.