Home » Saluyot Pasta with Sardine Sauce
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 3-4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 3 hours
1½ cups saluyot leaves, tightly packed
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pieces eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons oil
¼ kilo sardines, descaled and cleaned
3 tablespoons garlic, mined
⅓ cup red onion, diced
3 cups tomato sauce
2 pieces bay leaves
1/4 cup olives, sliced
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
1. In a pan over medium over medium heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add saluyot leaves and cook until wilted.
2. Place sautéed saluyot into food processor or blender and blend into a puree. Add eggs and puree more.
3. In a bowl, mix together flour and salt until well combined. Make a well in the middle and pour in the saluyot puree. Slowly mix in by hand until a dough forms. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Form into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and rest for 1 hour.
4. Roll out dough thin and cut into strips of pasta noodles. Dust with more flour and dry for a few minutes before boiling in salted water for 3-5 minutes. Drain.
5. In a pan over medium heat, fry the sardines in oil for a few minutes. Flake and set aside.
6. In the same pan, sauté garlic and onions until fragrant and translucent. Add flaked sardines and bay leaf then sauté for a few more minutes.
7. At tomato sauce and olives, stirring well for a few minutes. Add parmesan cheese. Mix in for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Quickly mix in basil leaves. Remove from heat.
8. Pour sauce over pasta and add more parmesan cheese if desired.