PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 18 to 20 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 4 hours
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2/3 cup water
3 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 pieces eggs
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped bacon
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 pieces salted egg yolks
Salt to taste (optional)
Fried bacon bits
1. Dissolve the instant yeast in 2/3 cup water. Set aside and allow to bubble.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the yeast, eggs, and milk. Mix well.
3. Mix in the butter until the consistency is doughy yet sticky. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover with a plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm place, cover with a towel, and let it rise until double. This will take about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Flour a clean surface and transfer the dough. Add flour and work on the dough just until it stops being sticky. Cut into 18 to 20 pieces.
5. Roll a piece into a bowl and flatten rectangularly with a rolling pin. Add the filling by brushing the dough with butter, sprinkle some sugar and parmesan cheese, and place a line of bacon on one side.
6. Roll the dough into a tube. Twirl and place in a greased mold or muffin pan. Do the same for the other pieces.
7. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
8. Place the molds on a baking tray and cover with plastic wrap. Keep in a warm place with a towel covering the top. Let it rise until double, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
9. Remove the plastic wrap and bake the ensaymada for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
1. In a pot over medium-low heat, mix the butter, brown sugar, and salted egg yolks. Stir constantly to avoid burning and wait until the texture is thick is syrupy. Season with salt (optional).
1. Place the ensaymada on a serving plate and top with the salted egg caramel sauce. Sprinkle with bacon bits.