Makes 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 piece egg white
1/8 cup full cream evaporated milk
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup store bought salted caramel
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
1. Combine all wet ingredients (egg whites, evaporated milk and water) in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) and mix well.
3. Pour in wet mixture to dry ingredients. Whisk to combine properly.
Using a silicone brush, grease tin molds with butter. Fill each tin mold with the mixture until 3/4 full.
4. Using a steamer, steam puto for 7 to 9 minutes. Place dollops of store bought salted caramel and cubed cheese at the center of the half-cooked puto. Cover and continue steaming for another 7 to 9 minutes, or until cooked when puto is firm but not wet anymore.
5. Optional: brush puto with butter on top. Serve and enjoy!