Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
2 cups batwan, whole
1 1/2 kilograms pork loin and ribs
1 piece onion, chopped
1 cup small tomatoes
½ kilo taro or gabi, peeled
1 cup sigarilyas, ends removed
1 cup eggplant, tops removed
6 pieces okra
2 to 3 pieces sili sigang
2 to 3 tablespoon patis
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash batwan and put on 2 cups boiling water. Mash, drain, and set aside puree.
- Season pork cuts with salt and pepper.
- Boil water in a pot over medium heat and add onions and tomatoes. Add pork cuts and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove pork from pot and grill on both side for 20 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Add gabi and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Pour batwan puree to the mixture.
- Remove pork from grill and place again in sinigang broth until tender.
- Add remaining vegetables and patis. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slice pork and arrange in a bowl.
- Serve with steaming rice and patis with calamansi.