PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4-6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 3 hours 30 minutes
2 pieces bay leaves
1 teaspoon cloves
½ tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
½ tablespoon oregano
2 cinnamon sticks
8 cups chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup red onions, quartered
¼ cup garlic, smashed with skin
Salt, to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 whole chicken
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup white sugar
1. Place bay leaves, cloves, thyme, nutmeg, oregano, and cinnamon sticks in cheesecloth and wrap securely.
2. In a large pot, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, pineapple juice, red onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add aromatics in cheesecloth. Boil then simmer for 10 minutes, gradually reducing to low heat.
3. Submerge chicken in the pot and marinate covered for at least 1 hour or until skin has tightened.
4. Remove chicken and aromatics from broth. Allow chicken to air-dry and pat with paper towels as needed. Stuff aromatics inside chicken cavity.
5. Roast chicken in an oven preheated to 200 degrees Celsius for 1 hour 30 minutes. Rest for a few minutes.
6. Bring broth in pot to a boil. Scoop out scum, then add brown and white sugar. Reduce by half until syrupy consistency. Drain to remove solids from sauce.
7. Serve chicken with sauce drizzled on top.