Makes 12 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
5 pieces egg yolks
¾ cup condensed milk
2/3 cup fresh milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup milk
½ cup water
5 pieces egg whites
¼ cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they break apart and turn smooth. Add the condensed milk, fresh milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- Place the leche flan mix into the molds, filling up only halfway and steam for 5 minutes or until just set, depending on the size of the mold. Remove from steamer and let cool.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda into a bowl and mix until well combined and everything is well distributed.
- Pour in the butter, milk, and water and mix until well combined. Batter must remain slightly thick.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add the sugar while whisking until hard peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites by thirds into the batter until all are incorporated.
- Fill the second half of the molds with the puto batter and steam for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Boil the brown sugar and water together.
- Top puto leche flan with syrup and serve.