Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 small garlic clove, finely minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Place the crushed pineapple, soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Pour half of the teriyaki sauce in a resealable plastic bag and reserve the other half.
- Place the chicken breasts in the resealable bag, close and give it a good massage to coat with the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, turn on the broiler and place the rack in the middle position.
- Place the marinated chicken breasts on a foil-lined baking sheet and spoon some of the chunky pineapple/ginger from the marinade on top of the breast. It will help keep the chicken moist. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, for a total of 16-20 minutes. Discard any remaining marinade in the bag.
- While the chicken is broiling, heat the reserved teriyaki sauce (that you had previously set aside in step 1) in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- When chicken is done, Slice the chicken, pour the teriyaki sauce over top and serve immediately.