PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 1 chicken
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
1 whole chicken
3 kilos rock salt
1/4 to 1/3 cup crushed pepper
1 tablespoon patis
1/8 cup calamansi
4 cans pale pilsen
1 whole roasted garlic
1/3 cup butter
1. In a bowl, rub the skin and cavity of the chicken with about 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup crushed pepper.
2. Pour patis and calamansi juice on the chicken. Rub. Then pour 2 to 3 cans of pale pilsen and patis into the bowl. Marinate chicken for 30 minutes.
3. Mash the roasted garlic into the butter.
4. Remove the chicken from the bowl. Place butter inside the skin.
5. On a deep pot, place a bed of rock salt at the bottom, about 2 inches deep, and tanglad leaves.
6. Open a can of beer and let the chicken “sit” on it. Place the chicken on the bed of rock salt and make sure it’s stable.
7. Cook the chicken for an hour over low heat. Cover to let it steam.