Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
½ cup squash, cut into thin strips
½ cup eggplant, cut into strips
½ cup sitaw, cut into the same length as other vegetables
½ cup red onions, cut into strips
½ cup okra cut into discs
1 – 2 tablespoons of cake flour
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1 cup cake flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup ice cold shrimp broth or water
2 tablespoons calamansi juice
3 tablespoons cooked bagoong
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons crushed chicharon
1. Put prepared vegetables in a large bowl, add cake flour and salt, and coat vegetables well.
2. For Tempura batter, mix flour, cornstarch, and ice cold broth or water in a different bowl. Do not over mix. Pour batter on the vegetable mix.
3. Put oil in a pan to 1-2cm deep, heat at medium high. Drop a couple of spoonfuls of battered vegetables into oil and fry for 5-6 minutes turning once or twice.
4. Place fried fritters on cooling racks.
5. Get a bowl and mix all ingredients for the dip together.
6. Serve kakiage with a side of the mixed bagoong and chicharon dip.