Home » Pichi Pichi Suman
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 12 servings
Preparation & cooking time: 2 hours
2 cups cassava, finely grated and squeezed of all liquid
1 cup sugar
1¾ cups coconut water
½ teaspoon lihia (lye water)
1 teaspoon buko pandan extract
1/2 cup buko strips
1 cup glutinous rice
1¾ cups water
2 pieces eggs
¾ cup condensed milk
Toasted desiccated coconut
1. In a bowl, mix the cassava, sugar, coconut water, buko pandan extract, and lihia until well combined.
2. Place oil or melted butter in individual cup molds. Add a teaspoon or few strips of buko strips inside.
3. Pour pichi pichi until filled halfway. Set aside.
1. In a pot, cook the glutinous rice in water. Set aside.
2. Mix the eggs and condensed milk in a bowl then add cooked glutinous rice. Stir until well combined and rice grains are separated and fully coated in egg mixture.
1. Place molds with pichi pichi in a steamer. Steam for 30 – 45 minutes, until the pichi pichi is almost set.
2. Carefully fill the molds to the brim with the rice mixture, without putting too much pressure on the pichi pichi below.
3. Steam for 15 – 20 minutes. Cool, unmold, then flip molds over on serving plate.
4. Sprinkle one with toasted desiccated coconut and serve.
Liked this combination of two Filipino kakanin favorites? Also try our Leche Flan Suman!