Makes 1 pata
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
1 piece pata, about 2 kilos
6 pieces star anise
4 pieces bay leaf
1 piece garlic, cloves peeled and separated
2 tablespoons peppercorns
3 tablespoons salt, divided
3 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1. Boil pata with star anise, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, and 2 tablespoons salt in a pot of water enough to submerge the pata. Boil for about two hours or until the pata is tender.
2. Let the pata rest until warm.
3. Poke the skin several times all the way to the bone with a barbecue stick.
4. Rub the skin with the Chinese five spice powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, and ground black pepper.
5. Bake or turbo broil for about an hour and a half at 250 degrees C until the skin is blistering and brown. Turn the pata is necessary to cook both sides evenly. Serve hot with hoisin sauce!