Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
8 pieces chicken thighs, skin on
7 pieces pandan root
4 pieces cilantro/wansuy root
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons corn starch
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black/white pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
8 pieces toothpick
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon red chili, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
- Thoroughly wash chicken thighs, pandan and cilantro roots, and pandan leaves.
- In a mortar and pestle, pound pandan and cilantro roots to pulp. Add garlic and ginger, continue pounding.
- Pour in coconut milk, sugar, oyster sauce, and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and add sesame seeds. Mix again.
- On a deep bowl, pour mixture over chicken. Add sesame oil and mash until the chicken is fully covered.
- Marinate 2 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Wrap Chicken thighs with pandan leaves and use the toothpick to keep leaves in place.
- Prepare a steaming pot and put in chicken. Steam for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to medium heat. Fry chicken for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the dipping sauce, heat oil and saute garlic and chili. Add soy sauce and sugar and mix until it caramelizes. Pour in water. Mix and turn off heat. Serve with the chicken.