Makes 6 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 ½ cups fresh milk, warm
1 tablespoon instant yeast
¼ cup white sugar
3 pieces eggs
2 cups flour, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, softened
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup grated queso de bola
1. Melt brown sugar into a syrup and pour in coconut milk. Boil while continuous stirring until thick, about 30 minutes. Mix in desiccated coconut. Set aside.
1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar. Mix and allow to activate.
2. Add eggs, and flour to activated yeast until well combined. Knead on low speed for 4 minutes. Add salt and butter then knead on medium speed until dough comes off from the bottom and sides of the bowl.
3. Place on a buttered surface, cover with plastic and allow to rest for 1 hour.
4. Portion and roll into balls and rest for 25 minutes.
5. Flatten thin into ovals.
6. Spread a thin later of coco jam filling. Roll into a rope and coil, tucking in ends underneath. Place on a buttered mold.
7. Rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
8. Bake at 190˚C for about 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool.
1. In a bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until light yellow.
2. Brush top of ensaymada with butter sugar, and sprinkle with grated queso de bola.