Makes 16 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups Japanese rice, washed
½ cup carrots, finely diced
½ cup potato, finely diced
½ cup pechay Baguio, minced
3 1/2 cups water
1 piece kamote, fried and cubed
3/4 cup spinach, chopped
½ cup garlic, minced and toasted
3 pieces eggs, cooked as scrambled eggs
¼ cup tocino, finely chopped and fried
4 pieces Vigan longganisa, removed from casing and fried
3 pieces hotdogs, finely chopped and fried
¾ cup tapa, finely chopped and fried
½ cup white sesame seeds, toasted
1. In a bowl, combine rice vinegar and sugar, stirring until dissolved.
2. Combine washed rice with carrots, potatoes, and pechay baguio. Stir, add water, and cook.
3. Add fried kamote, spinach, toasted garlic, scrambled eggs, and vinegar mixture to cooked rice. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
1. Take a portion of the rice and press firmly into a mold lined with cling wrap until 1/3 full, creating a cavity in the center. Add the filling (tocino, Vigan longganisa, hotdogs, or tapa), and cover with more rice, pressing down.
2. Unmold and remove cling wrap. Roll sides on toasted sesame seeds.
3. Serve for breakfast, merienda, or even as baon and enjoy!