Makes 10 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes
3 pieces Granny Smith apples, cubed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup apple juice
3/4 cup muscovado sugar, divided
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
10 slices white bread, crusts removed
Nutella for filling
⅓ cup melted butter
Mantecado ice cream
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees C.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add cubed apples and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together apple juice, 1/4 cup muscovado sugar, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and cornstarch. Add to the apples.
- Stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and cool. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup muscovado sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- Roll each white bread slice flat with a rolling pin. Spread some Nutella on the bread.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of apple pie filling on each slice of bread and roll up.
- Brush the outside of each roll with melted butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Place seam side down on a parchment-lined pan and bake for 15 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve warm with mantecado ice cream on top.