Makes 3 to 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
1/8 cup white onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons ginger, sliced
1 tablespoon bagoong, roasted
1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
¼ cup dessicated coconut, toasted
¼ cup hibe
1 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup guava jelly
2 teaspoons tamarind paste
2 tablespoon dayap juice
2 cups alagao leaves, washed
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup hibe
¾ cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup peanuts, skin removed and fried
2 pieces dayap, cubed
4 siling labuyo, chopped
3 green sili, chopped
1. In a mortar and pestle, add white onion, garlic, and ginger and pound until fine.
2. Add roasted bagoong, black peppercorns, toasted dessicated coconut, and hibe and continue pounding into a smooth paste.
3. In a saucepan, add water and paste and bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Add brown sugar and reduce heat to a simmer to allow sauce to reduce. Add salt, guava jelly, and tamarind paste and mix. Transfer to a dipping bowl, season with dayap juice, stir, and set aside.
1. Prepare all ingredients and place in a serving plate or tray divided into sections.
2. Get one alagao leaf, spread sauce on it, and place a little of each filling. Fold leaf and take a delicious bite!
Leave a Reply