Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
2 cups mushrooms
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup canned black beans, drained
¾ cup red onions, minced
¼ cup garlic, minced
½ cup ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
⅓ cup flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 pieces eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup of water
1½ tablespoons sugar
1 cup white onions, sliced into rings
Egg, cooked sunny side up
1. Place mushrooms, carrots, black beans, onions, and garlic into a food processor and blend until fine paste.
2. Pour mushroom mixture onto a bowl lined with cheesecloth and squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Place in a bowl. Set aside drippings.
3. Add ground black pepper, cumin, flour, breadcrumbs, and eggs. Mix until well combined.
4. Form mushroom mixture into patties. Freeze until firm, about 20 – 30 minutes.
5. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry the patties in oil covered until browned on each side.
1. To make the gravy, deglaze frying pan with the drippings set aside earlier and add cornstarch and sugar until thickened. Add onions and cook until onions soften.
2. Top patties with gravy, and serve hot to hungry guests with rice and egg!