Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
1 piece hito
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 piece white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb ginger, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
Cooking oil for frying
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 1/2 tablespoons patis
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1 piece siling labuyo, minced
1 stalk spring onion, minced
1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup slightly crushed peanuts
1/2 piece manggang hilaw, grated
1/4 cup wansoy leaves
1 piece siling labuyo, sliced diagonally (optional)
1. Clean the fish under running water. Use salt to remove excess slime. Cut into three pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger until onion is translucent and garlic and ginger are aromatic. Add the hito and fry each side for a few minutes.
3. Lower the heat and add the soy sauce. Cover and allow to boil. Once boiling, turn the hito pieces and add the vinegar. Simmer until cooked.
4. Cool the hito and shred the meat. Deep fry in a hot pot with oil. Strain and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen towels.
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
1. Assemble the plate with the vegetables and fruit along with the fried hito. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side.