Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
16 pieces Quail eggs
8-10 pieces Vigan longanisa (or your favorite longanisa)
Flour for dusting wrapped eggs (about ¼ cup)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup Cornstarch
2 1/4 cups Water
1 tablespoon Annatto powder
Oil for deep-frying
Vinegar for dipping
- Place eggs and enough water to cover them in a pot. Bring water to a boil and cook for four minutes, or if
- you have an egg timer, until it indicates the eggs are cooked.
- After, immediately place eggs in cold water to let cool. Peel eggs when cool.
- Heat oil for deep-frying, until about 160 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the casing of each Vigan longanisa. Wrap the meat around the eggs. Dust each in flour, making sure all sides are covered. Set aside.
- To make the batter: Combine all purpose flour, cornstarch, annatto powder in a bowl. Add water and gently mix until smooth and free of lumps.
- Using two spoons, dunk wrapped eggs into the batter while letting excess batter drip.
- Carefully drop the batter-covered eggs into the hot oil and fry for 4-5 minutes each. Do not overcrowd the pan while frying.
- When cooked, drain excess oil with paper towels.
- Serve with vinegar.