Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
¾ kilo liempo slab
Salt to taste
Cracked pepper to taste
7 cups pork broth
3/4 cup white sugar
½ cup quartered red onions
¼ cup minced garlic
1½ cup pineapple Juice
2 pieces bay leaf
¼ cup white vinegar
½ tablespoon dried thyme
½ tablespoon dried oregano
2 pieces cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
Siopao buns, steamed
Chopped spring onion
1. Rub pork with salt and pepper. Set aside covered for 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. In a pan with very hot oil over high heat, sear the liempo. Set aside.
3. In a pot over medium heat, add pork broth, sugar, onions, garlic, pineapple juice, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and white vinegar.
4. Add pork and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Remove liempo from the pot and continue to simmer the stock until reduced and saucy.
6. Slice the liempo and bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C.
7. Slice the steamed siopao buns and add the liempo slice, slices of tomatoes, shredded cabbage, chopped spring onion, and the sauce. Serve.