Home » Leche Flan Suman
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4-6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
2 cups coconut cream (kakang gata)
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup water
5 egg yolks
¾ cup condensed milk
⅔ cup fresh milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup glutinous rice
1 1/2 cup water
3/4 cup condensed milk
1. In a pan over medium heat, bring the coconut cream to a boil, stirring continuously as it cooks down and separates into curds. Cook until the curds are golden. Strain from oil and set aside.
1. In a saucepan, dissolve the brown sugar in the water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and swirl the pan until it thickens into a syrup. Pour in to the base of the lanera, and set aside to allow to harden.
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they break apart and turn smooth. Add the condensed milk, fresh milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
2. Pour the leche flan mix through a strainer into the lanera with caramel, filling up only halfway.
3. Steam for 5 minutes or until just set, depending on the size of the mold. Remove from steamer, let cool, and set aside.
1. In a pot, cook the glutinous rice in water. Set aside.
2. Mix the eggs and condensed milk in a bowl then add cooked glutinous rice. Stir until well combined and rice grains are separated and fully coated in egg mixture.
3. Carefully fill the lanera to the brim with the rice mixture, without putting too much pressure on the leche flan below.
4. Steam for 15 – 20 minutes. Cool, unmold, then flip lanera over. Top leche flan suman with latik and serve on banana leaves. Enjoy!