PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours (excluding marinating time)
1 kilo pork hock (pata)
½ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup garlic, minced
8 pieces batwan
4 pieces onion, quartered
8 pieces garlic cloves
3 stalks lemongrass
1 tablespoon peppercorn
¼ kilo langka, unripe
3 pieces tomatoes, halved
4 pieces siling haba
1½ cups kadyos, soaked overnight
Salt to taste
1. Place pork, soy sauce and minced garlic in a bowl and allow to marinate overnight.
2. Boil batwan with enough water until soft. Strain the batwan and liquid into another bowl. Mash the batwan and discard the seeds.
3. In a deep pot with hot oil, sear the pork until the skin is brown. Add onions, garlic, lemongrass, and 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and skim off floating scum on the surface of the stock.
4. Add peppercorns and cover the pot. Simmer until tender.
5. Mix in the langka, tomatoes, siling haba, and kadyos. Season with salt and let the stock boil until the ingredients added are tender.
6. Mix in the batwan and continue to simmer until incorporated. Serve hot!