Home » Iced Gems
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons caster sugar
½ cup all- purpose flour
½ cup all-purpose flour for dusting
3 – 4 cups confectioners sugar
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Different food coloring (gel type) – blue, purple, pink, yellow, green, orange
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and prepare your baking tray by greasing it and lining it with parchment/ baking paper. Set aside
2. Place the softened butter and caster sugar into a medium-sized mixing bowl. You can either use an electric hand whisk or a wooden spoon to cream the two ingredients together.
3. Gradually incorporate the flour into the mixture stirring constantly until you create a dry and crumbly dough. Using your hands, fold the dough together until it becomes one big ball.
4. Lay out the dough into a floured surface and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. Thickness of the dough should be about half inch thick.
5. Take a small circular cutter (can be a nozzle of a piping tip or a small cake corer) and proceed by cutting the dough into small circles. Place it on the baking tray and let it set first in the chiller for about 30 minutes before baking. This ensures that the biscuits will maintain its form even after baking.
6. Once the cut-up pieces of dough are set, bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. When done, cool on cooling rack before decorating with icing.
1. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy and aerated.
2. Gradually add in the sugar and cream of tartar and vanilla extract. This is to stabilize the egg whites
3. Once mixture is smooth divide into different bowls and start to mix in your different colors into each bowl of icing.
4. Using a star tip pipe the different colored icing on top of the baked biscuits and let set at room temperature until it hardens.
Liked this Filipino snack hack? Also try our 3-Ways Jolly Turon!