PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 7-8 servings
Preparation and Cooking Time : 1 hour 30 minutes
15 pieces chicken skewers
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons oil, divided
½ cup white onion, minced
¼ cup garlic, minced
2 pieces star anise
¼ cup vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
1 cup pork broth
1 cup pineapple juice
⅓ cup and 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
1 tablespoon bay leaf powder
Kiam Pung Rice:
¼ cup Chinese sausage, diced
3 tablespoons oil
¼ cup red onion, minced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fermented salted black beans
2 cups rice
2½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup kalabasa, diced
3 pieces shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
2 teaspoon five spice powder
½ tablespoon ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1. In a pan over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic,and star anise in 2 tablespoons oil until fragrant, translucent, and soft. In a bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, sautéed mixture, pork broth, pineapple juice, sugar, bay leaf powder, and 1/4 cup oil, mixing until sugar is dissolved.
2. Place chicken skewers in mixture and marinate for 1 hour.
3. In a pot over medium heat, bring marinade to a boil and cook until slightly thick.
4. Grill chicken, basting with the sauce frequently. Allow grilled meat to rest and set aside.
Kiam Pung Rice:
1. In a large pot, sauté Chinese sausage until it releases some oils and becomes fragrant. Add oil, then continue sautéing, mixing in onions, garlic, and black beans until onions become translucent.
2. Mix in rice and coat with the sautéed mixture. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, kalabasa, mushrooms, five spice powder, and black pepper. Mix until well combined and everything is evenly distributed. Season with salt if needed. Bring to a boil and occasionally stir. Simmer until cooked.
3. Serve hot with grilled chicken and enjoy!