Home » Galunggong Okoy
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 2 – 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 25 – 45 minutes
3/4 cup rice flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup water
1/2 small piece cabbage, shredded
1 cup beansprouts
1 small piece carrot, julienned
1 cup chopped snow peas
1 cup julienned leeks (white part only)
1/2 piece kamote, julienned
1 pc galunggong, cleaned, gutted and filleted
2 teaspoons patis
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Place a small pot of water on medium heat. Season water with salt and pepper and let simmer. Once water is simmering add in fillets to cook for about 2 – 5 minutes. Strain out the fillets from the water and flake.
2. Sift the rice flour, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and water together. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
4. Mix the vegetables, galunggong flakes and patis, and pepper in a bowl. Pour the batter and add flour 1 tablespoon at a time if the mixture is too wet.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a pot. Scoop about 1/3 cup of Ukoy and place on a banana leaf. Lower into the hot oil and slide off once the bottom of the Ukoy is stable and cooked. Flip to cook the other side. Set aside on a plate lined with kitchen towels.