Home » Galunggong Fish Cakes
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 4 – 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1 small white onion, skin removed
1 whole garlic, skin removed
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup coconut cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon bagoong
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 tablespoon patis
1/2 tablespoon sugar
Pepper to taste
1 pc galunggong, cleaned gutted and filleted
2 pieces eggs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Place a small pot of water on medium heat. Season water with salt and pepper and let simmer. Once water is simmering add in fillets to cook for about 2 – 5 minutes. Strain out the fillets from the water and flake.
2. Using a mortar and pestle, pound onion, garlic, and turmeric until a fine paste.
3. In a deep pan, heat cooking oil and saute the paste with 3/4 cup coconut cream, chili flakes, patis, bagoong, sugar, and pepper until reduced and well combined.
4. Place mixture in a bowl and add the flaked fish, eggs, and remaining coconut cream, cornstarch, and water and pour into the bowl. Mix well and set aside.
5. Place the banana leaf containers in a steamer and pour the fish cake mixture in each. Steam for about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.