Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
1 quart Macapuno ice cream
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup cornflakes, crushed
1 cup desiccated coconut
Oil for frying
Ube halaya for serving (optional)
Toasted desiccated coconut for serving (optional)
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Water
3 tablespoons Butter
6 tablespoons Cream
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon rum
- With an ice cream scooper, form 4 large balls of Macapuno ice cream. Place on a waxed paper lined sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make butterscotch: Melt brown sugar and water together. Let boil and then lower heat. Add butter and cream, and let boil again. Turn off heat, and then add cider vinegar and
- rum. Set aside for topping.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar and together. In a shallow dish, combine the cornflake crumbs and desicated coconut.
- Dip ice cream balls into the eggs, then roll in the crumb mixture, coating completely. Repeat 2 to 3 times (depending on how thick you want your breading to be).
- Freeze for at least 3 hours up to overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or fryer to 170 degrees C. Lower the balls into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Top with butterscotch. You can also serve it with ube halaya and toasted desiccated coconut.