Makes 10 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
10 pieces medium to large sized Baguio strawberries
10 cubes kesong puti
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1/2 tablespoon beer
1/2 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
Cooking oil for deep frying
3/4 cup dark chocolate shavings or chips
Crushed chocolate peanut candies
Crushed toasted cashews
1. Pit the strawberries by slicing the top end and removing the center with a paring knife.
2. Fill the center of a strawberry with kesong puti. Use a barbecue stick to hold the strawberry and cheese in place. Do this for the other strawberries. Refrigerate for an hour.
3. Make the batter by mixing the all-purpose flour, beer, and confectioner’s sugar in a bowl. Mix well until smooth.
4. Fill a pot with enough cooking oil and set over high heat. Get the strawberries and dip them one by one into the batter. Slowly place into the hot oil and cook until brown. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel. Set aside.
5. Prepare a double boiler by filling a pot with water and setting a heatproof bowl on top. Boil the water and reduce to a simmer. Add the chocolate shavings onto the bowl and mix just until melted and smooth.
6. Dip half of the fried strawberries one by one into the chocolate and then onto the desired toppings. Refrigerate until chocolate sets or serve as is.
Leave a Reply