Home » Filipino Paella Valenciana
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 4 – 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
6 cups chicken broth
2 pieces bay leaf
¼ kilo shrimp, shelled and deveined but with tail
¼ kilo halaan clams, cleaned
¼ kilo squid, sliced into rings
1/2 cup chicken thigh fillet
½ cup leftover longganisa chopped
Salt, to taste
4 tablespoons annatto oil
¼ cup red onions, minced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
½ cup red bell peppers, diced
½ cup crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons Kasubha
2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups rice
½ cup Peas
½ cup Baguio beans
½ cup Red bell peppers, sliced
½ cup Kinchay leaves
1. Bring chicken stock to a boil and add bay leaves. Add halaan clams then simmer until clams are cooked and opened. Remove from stock. Repeat for squid.
2. Add shrimp heads and shells to broth and crush them to extract more flavor reduce liquid to about half. Keep warm and set aside.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, sprinkle salt and annatto oil. Sauté chorizo, chicken and shrimp until shrimp is cooked. Remove shrimp. Continue sautéing until chicken has developed a deep brown color then remove chicken and chorizo from pan. Add onions, garlic, and red bell peppers.
4. Add smoked paprika, crushed tomatoes, and tomato tomato paste. Continue cooking until toasted and very aromatic.
5. Deglaze pan with broth. Add kasubha and bring to a boil. Add rice then stir to spread evenly. Allow to simmer in low heat. Cover with foil.
6. Remove cover. Add peas and baguio beans and lightly mix it in. Arrange cooked shrimps, chicken, chorizo, clams, squids, and bell peppers on top of the rice. Allow to cook for a few more minutes covered. Remove from heat and rest covered for 5 more minutes.
7. Top with lemon wedges and kinchay leaves.