PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
1/2 tablespoon whole peppercorns
10 cloves garlic
2 pieces white onion, quartered
3 pieces bay leaf
1 whole pork belly or lechon kawali
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 piece onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 pieces tomatoes
1/2 cup bagoong
1/4 cup vinegar
Pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Place peppercorns, garlic, onion, bay leaf, and lechon kawali in a pot with six cups of water and boil until pork is tender (but not falling apart), about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2. Pat dry the lechon and set aside.
1. In a pan over medium heat, cook vegetable oil and sauté garlic and onions until fragrant and translucent. Add tomato, cooking until soft and mashed. Add in the shrimp paste and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add vinegar and allow to boil for about 3 to 5 minutes without stirring and reducing.
3. Season with pepper.
1. Place a pot with oil enough for frying over medium heat. Fry the lechon kawali until crispy.
2. Chop and serve with the binagoongan sauce.