Home » Crispy Pata Paksiw
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1 piece large pata, whole
1 tablespoon peppercorns
¼ cup garlic cloves, smashed with skin on
2 pieces red onions, quartered
2 pieces bay leaves
1 tablespoon vinegar
Salt, to taste
Oil, for frying
½ cup garlic cloves, smashed
½ cup red onions, minced
¼ cup bay leaves
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup black beans
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
½ cup banana blossoms, soaked in water
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, boil pata for 10 – 15 minutes, remove scum. Drain and wash pata well.
2. Place pata back into the pot with enough water to completely submerge it. Add peppercorns, garlic, onion, and bay leaves. Boil for 30 minutes – 1 hour. Drain pata and save broth.
1. Pat dry pata, then air dry pata uncovered in the refrigerator until dry to the touch.
2. Rub pata all over with salt and vinegar.
3. In a large pot over medium-high heat, deep fry until crisp and golden.
1. In a pan over medium heat, saute garlic, onions, and bay leaves for a few minutes until soft. Add brown sugar and continue cooking until caramelized. Toss in black beans.
2. Add vinegar and do not stir until acidic smell has disappeared.
3. Pour in half of soy sauce and stir. Bring to a boil and reduce.
4. Pour in pork broth and remaining soy sauce. Add banana blossoms.
4. Add cornstarch slurry. Stir and reduce to a thick sauce. Season with black pepper as desired.
5. Pour sauce over crispy pata and serve.