Home » Crispy Dinuguan Puto Pao
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 12 to 16 pieces
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Water, enough to submerge pork belly
1 kilogram whole pork belly, boneless
1 bulb garlic, crushed
2 pieces bay leaves
1/2 tablespoon black peppercorn
1 tablespoon salt
Cooking oil, for deep-frying
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 piece white onion, chopped
4 tablespoons ginger
3 cups pork blood
1/2 cup pork stock (from the boiling liquid)
1 bundle tanglad
3/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup gata
Salt/patis & pepper to taste
2 pieces green chili
2 cups chicharon, chopped
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
4 tablespoons powdered milk
1½ cups sugar
½ teaspoon salt
4 pieces eggs
3½ cups water
½ cup butter, melted
4 pieces salted eggs, sliced
¼ block cheddar cheese, grated
Crispy Pork & Sauce:
1. Boil together pork belly, garlic, bay leaf, black peppercorns and salt. Cook until fork-tender, around 1 hour.
2. Strain out and air-dry for 30 minutes to an hour.
3. Chop into bite sized pieces and deep fry until crispy. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a pot and sauté ginger, garlic, and onions.
5. Add the mashed blood, pork stock and tanglad. Mix and allow to simmer.
6. Add vinegar next. Don’t mix for a few minutes to let acidity evaporate.
7. Once boiling, add pork broth. Season with sugar, salt or patis, and pepper. Mix in gata next. 8. Simmer until reduced and thick.
9. Remove tanglad bundle and ginger knobs. Mix in green chili. Set aside to cool.
1. Grease puto molds/muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine, flour, baking powder, powdered milk, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs and water together.
3. Add egg mixture to flour mixture little by little while stirring. After, mix in melted butter until smooth.
1. Fill molds/muffin pans half full with puto batter.
2. Arrange the molds in a steamer and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Place dinuguan sauce in the middle with some pieces of crispy pork. Pour puto batter on top just enough to cover the filling. Continue to steam for about 10 to 15 minutes until top is almost cooked.
4. Top with a slice of salted egg, chicharon and grated cheese. Finish off steaming and serve hot.