PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 – 10 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
500 grams pasta noodles
Water as needed
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
¼ cup onion, minced
¼ kilo shrimps, peeled and deveined
Shrimp peel and heads
5 tablespoons atsuete seeds
¼ kilo liempo, cut into small cubes
½ cup firm tofu, cut into small cubes
1 cup squid rings
1 cup mussels (Tahong), washed
1 tablespoon patis
1 cup cream
Spring onions, finely chopped
Egg, hard boiled
Calamansi juice (optional)
1. In a large pot over medium heat, boil pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Strain pasta and run through cold water. Set aside pasta water.
2. Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the pork belly until it renders it’s oils and turns crispy then set aside pork on a plate. In the same pan, heat and fry the tofu until crispy then set aside tofu.
3. Sauté the garlic and onions, squid, and peeled shrimp, until cooked and set aside.
4. Saute the shrimp head and shells in the pan together with the atsuete seeds. Add pasta water and bring to a boil over medium heat for 15 minutes, crushing the heads to extract flavor.
5. Strain out shells and seeds.
6. Add in the mussels and cook until shells open, simmer to reduce sauce.
7. Pour back cooked pork, tofu, shrimps, and squid rings, season with patis and pour over cream and let simmer for another 5 minutes before tossing in the cooked pasta.
8. Serve pasta and top with spring onions, chicharon and hard boiled egg.
9. Remove from heat and season with calamansi juice, salt, and pepper as necessary.
Liked this twist to your favorite pancit? Also try our Palabok Paella!