PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 12 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 2 1/2 hours
1 tablespoon cooling oil
4 slabs liempo
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 piece onion, chopped
1/2 kilo crab meat
1/2 cup coconut water
1 tablespoon patis
2 pieces young coconut, meat extracted and finely chopped
1/2 cup shrimps, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
200 ml coconut milk
36 pieces fresh gabi leaves
Gabi stalk made into strings
Chopped siling labuyo
1 bundle tanglad, tied into two knots
600 ml coconut milk
2 cups buko juice
2 tablespoons bagoong
1 tablespoon sliced ginger
2 pieces daing na labahita
2 pieces siling haba
1. Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Pan fry the liempo slabs until brown and crisp. Set the slabs aside, slicing each into four pieces, and use the rendered fat in the next step.
2. Saute the garlic and onion into the rendered pork fat. Add the crab meat and saute until slightly brown.
3. Mix in the coconut water, patis, young coconut, and shrimps.
4. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Add sugar as well.
5. Pour in the coconut milk and mix. Set aside.
6. Prepare three gabi leaves. Place a piece of liempo in the middle of one leaf. Spoon about two heaping tablespoons of crabmeat mixture into the leaf. Top with a spoonful of coconut milk and a few chopped siling labuyo, according to your taste. Fold the gabi leaf onto the mixture, sealing all sides. Use another gabi leaf to cover the first one, and another gabi leaf for the final wrap. Tie with two gabi stalk strings. Do the same for the remaining leaves and mixture.
1. In a deep pot, place the tanglad knots on the bottom. Add and stack up the gabi wraps.
2. Pour in the coconut milk and buko juice.
3. Spoon the bagoong on top of the wraps, followed by the ginger, daing na labahita, and siling haba.
4. Cover the pot and turn the heat on to medium low. Simmer for about 2 hours and serve hot.