Makes 5 to 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
5 pieces 1/2 inch slices Pork ribs or Liempo
2 Egg Whites
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups Cornstarch
Vegetable oil, as needed for deep frying
1 tablespoon Ginger
1 tablespoon Garlic
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Coffee Powder
3 tablespoons Asian oyster sauce
2 Red Chilis, chopped
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 sprigs Spring Onions
- In a medium-sized bowl, marinate the ribs at room temperature for at least 30 minutes in egg whites along with a pinch of salt.
- Using your hands, rub in the corn starch, making sure that it partially coats all of the ribs. Allow flavors to seep in for 10-15 minutes.
- In a high-sided pot, heat the oil to 350 degrees F and deep fry the ribs at high heat for about 5 minutes, continue frying at low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté ginger and garlic, add 1/2 cup of water, coffee powder, oyster sauce and red chilis and simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- While simmering, add the sugar and allow the sauce to caramelize. Add the ribs to the pan and gently toss until they are fully coated and little sauce remains.
- Serve with chopped spring onions and the remaining red chili on top.