PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
4 pieces large banana leaves, washed
¼ cup butter, melted
1 ½ cup coconut milk
1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons queso de bola, finely grated
2 cups rice flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup coco jam
1. Over an open flame, carefully heat the banana leaves to soften them and release natural oils. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine ¼ cup melted butter, coconut milk, and 1/3 cup grated queso de bola. Stir until cheese is melted, then set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine rice flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add cooled butter-milk-cheese mixture and with an electric mixer, combine well into a smooth batter. Add eggs and continue mixing until well incorporated.
4. Cut banana leaves to fit mold. Pour mixture into mold until ¾ full.
5. In a preheated oven, bake bibingka for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, then lower the heat to 150 degrees Celsius and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
6. Brush the bibingka with center and sprinkle with remaining grated queso de bola. Continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes until fully cooked. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
7. Place a tablespoon of butter over the hot bibingka and let it melt, then top with coco jam and 2 tablespoons of queso de bola. Serve and enjoy!