Makes 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
16 pieces lumpia wrappers
4 pieces plantains, sliced into 16 pieces
6 pieces jackfruit, sliced into 24 pieces
3/4 cup crushed milk chocolate
1 piece egg white, slightly beaten
Vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/8 cup corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1. Using 2 wrappers at a time, place a plantain off center. Line up 3 pieces of langka beside it, then about a teaspoon on chocolate. Sandwich with another piece of plantain.
2. Brush sides with egg white and roll the lumpia until you reach the last fold. Tuck in the edges and brush with extra egg white before folding to close. Do the same for the other turon pieces.
3. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high. Once it’s ready for frying, add the turon pieces. Fry until golden. Set aside in a plate lined with kitchen towel before transferring to a serving plate.
1. Heat butter in a pot over medium-low just until melted. Add the sugar, corn syrup, and salt and continuously stir.
2. When the mixture turns syrupy and light brown, turn off the heat and stir until golden brown.
1. Pour the hot caramel on the turon pieces. The caramel will harden almost instantly. Serve with your choice of ice cream.