Makes 5 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
1 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons honey
1 cup hoisin sauce
4 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
4 tablespoons cooking wine
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon red food color
1 tablespoon five spice powder
1 kilogram pork tenderloin
1 kilogram sliced pork belly (liempo)
3 tablespoons oil for frying
- In a deep bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, sugar, wine, garlic, food color, and five spice powder. Whisk well.
- Put pork pieces on a shallow bowl and pour half of the sauce. Cover and let it marinate for 3 hours or overnight for best results. (Keep the other half of the marinade mixture in a container and refrigerate.)
- After marinating, drain pork and discard the marinade.
- Put oil in a hot pan, and fry pork for 1 minute, turn over and make sure that all sides are seared. Add the reserved sauce onto the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pork and leave the sauce to simmer until desired thickness is achieved.
- Pre heat oven to grill/broil at 176 degees C.
- Line baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place pork in baking pan and brush with sauce. Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rotate pork pieces and baste 2 to 3 times. Remove from oven and allow it to cool down.
- Slice pork barbecue into desired thickness and serve on a platter.