Home » Chicken Sotanghon Soup
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 2 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1/4 part chicken breast
1/8 cup red onions
1 pc bay leaf
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 cup celery leaves (discards)
1 cup water
1/4 cup chicken strips
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp red onions, minced
1 pc bay leaf
1 tbsp celery stalk, chopped
½ tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp achuete/ annatto seeds
250 grams chicken stock
3/4 cup flaked chicken
¼ cup sotanghon noodles, steeped in water
1 tbsp spring onions, chopped finely
½ tbsp fish sauce
¼ tsp black pepper ground
Optional: toasted/ fried minced garlic
1. Pour water and drop the chicken in a pot and let simmer for 5 – 8 minutes or until scum appears on top of the simmer water. Take the pot from the heat and discard the water. Add clean water in the pot with the chicken and put back on low to medium heat.
2. Add black peppercorns, bay leaf, celery leaves, and red onions and let simmer for about 10 – 12 minutes or until breast if cooked all the way through.
3. Strain chicken from the stock and set aside chicken and broth in separate bowls.
1. Flake Chicken. Set aside.
2. In a small stock pot, pour oil and annatto/ achuete seeds and saute until oil changes color. 3. Discard the seeds and then pour garlic, red onions, bay leaf, and celery and saute for about 2 minutes or until aromatic.
4. Add chicken strips and sauté for another minute before pouring in the stock.
5. Let simmer for about 5 – 8 minutes before dropping the noodles and pouring in the fish sauce and black pepper ground.
6. Simmer for another minute or 2. Serve hot with chopped spring onions (and toasted/ fried garlic) as garnish